My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Friday, September 30, 2005

one down one to go

finished one blue sock, this lisa souza sock yarn (i cannot get the link to work) is a treat to knit, i love the subtle variation in the denim color. and it's a bit thinner than my beloved koigu, for the first time i knit a sock for myself with 72 stitches.



used the pattern stitch of the conwy sock from "knitting on the road", but didn't use the shaping, it would have been way too narrow if i would have decreased down to 60 stitches.






this is the right sock, i knit all my socks with anatomically correct toes.

it's very easy. instead of doing all the decrease rows the same way, every alternate decrease row you begin-- needle 1- knit to last 4 sts, k3tog, k1. needle 2- k1, sssk, knit to end of needle. needles 3&4, knit. you get a nice gently sloping toe.



for the left sock, simply do the alternate decrease rows doing the k3tog and sssk on needles 3&4, and knitting plain on needles 1&2. there will be a test lisa ;-)




and now for my newest love, our screen porch. some of you know this already and your eyes are glazing over, i have developed a severe allergy to bees, wasps and ants. unfortunately it has affected my life more than i would have ever dreamt. living in florida does not help. we finally had our porch screened in :-) was supposed to happen over a year ago, but all those hurricanes kept the screen company very busy. i cannot wait til it cools off here and i can sit on the porch, spin and knit without fear of my life!!!

thanks for all the comments, who'd a thunk i'd be a comment ho?

6 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Gorgeous sock - I do anatomical toes as well, but normally toe-up so I'll take notes for Lisa :)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Huh - I never thought about doing anatomically correct toes before. Probably because my feet don't really need it. But very nice sock!

Congrats on the screened in porch! Whew!

2:02 AM  
Blogger LadyV said...

Just when I thought I knew all there was to know about knitting socks (well, not really but...)Anatomically correct toe shaping; I'll have to give that a try.

Nice to be able to enjoy the outdoors sans bugs...A screened in porch is on my House Improvement list for next Spring.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

The socks look great! And I love all the spinning you've been doing.

Welcome to blogging!

Annie
http://knittygritty.net

6:42 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

vanessa, your sock is beatuiful. i love that pattern and i have always ignored the shaping part.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god...I am in so much trouble...I love your socks, Vanessa and my eyes are glassing over, thinking of making them. I got lots and lots of good advice today about how to do certain things and so I am going to go round and round and not worry about it looking like a sleeve this time. Phooey...when Brenda's sleeve sock arrived it fit my big feet. So be it...sigh.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home