My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

virginia is for spinners


what a wonderful time! maryland and virginia are absolutely gorgeous! the leaves were spectacular, the weather was perfection! have i used up my exclamation allotment?
the view from my friend's front yard.



norman kennedy is a hoot ;-0 his class was tons of fun, my favorite part was when he told naughty stories about the williamsburg tourists (he was master weaver at williamsburg). i love this photo, it reminds me of beatrix potter's "a tailor of gloucester".











we learned spinning for an aran sweater, and knitting an aran swatch. overachiever that i am, i made a tiny purse.
truth be told, my yarn was so overspun, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to make anyone wear a garment knit from my yarn ;-)










norman spun many a yarn about the old ways, i especially like the dyeing with urine tips. if my backyard is a little stinky next summer, you'll know why...



waterford, the town in virginia where the class was held, is like a tiny brigadoon. you go down a country road, around a curve, and there it is, all lovely 18th century homes, beautifully restored. the waterford old school has been redone, and now hold classes and concerts. in early october waterford has a juried craft show that melissa (the class sponsor and friend of norman) told me is worth a trip.


this is the old school.

saturday. after class, we walked around town. ending up in a little general store. there along with an old red coke machine, were baskets of lovely woolen spun yarn in natural colors. then we spied the spinning wheel. spent the next hour talking to linda landreth, the shop owner. she has a flock of corriedale-lincoln cross sheep behind the shop. it was the perfect ending to a perfect day.
linda stopped by class the next day, here is a photo of my friend and linda.



whew, my 2 fingers are tired ;-0 will post more later, and put the rest of the photos in a yahoo album. the waterford houses are charming :-)
glad to be back home, vanessa

7 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Oh Vanessa, didn't we have a wonderful time? I am so glad you finally came to visit me in Maryland. It was so nice spending time with you. There were so many highlights I don't know which one I liked best. I've already marked my calendar for with the dates of the 2006 Waterford Fair. Come back so we can play some more.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Sounds wonderful! And what a cute little purse.

Your pictures of Virginia are great. I love Virginia- such a beautiful state.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't realize you were going to Waterford! We went there a few years ago--just loved it. The trip to Virginia was like going to a foreign country for us (at that time) Seattle residents. And Waterford was like a town from another time, a Hobbiton in its charm.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trip sounds fabulous. I'd love to hear more about the Norman Kennedy aran class - any tips or stories that you can share (is that ethical?), I for one would love to hear.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a dream trip!! Lucky girl!

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Jeez...I guess that living through all of these stupid hurricanes makes it ok that you can travel around and have all of this fun. :o) I am glad that you could get out of Flaw-widda for awhile and it looks like a beautiful place. Color me Pea Green!

10:47 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

I've been to Waterford! It's such a cute little old mill town tucked down in a hollow by the river (if I'm not confusing it with someplace else...) I can't remember whether it was during the fair, but all the stores in town had special open houses, I think it was toward Christmas. I actually bought a little old 4 string banjo that day that was sitting all alone in a tiny antique shop.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home