My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Thursday, April 13, 2006

a tale of two socks, or you can teach an old dog a new trick



yummy yummy, i got me some lisa souza sock! merino in the mail. had to drop all the other needles, and cast on a pair of socks.



now this lisa is a generous gal, there are 560 yards of merino goodness in that skein (all for a paltry $16!) this is petroglyph.


i've never knit a pair of toe-up socks before, and since i got a new postal drug dealer scale to play with, i thought i'd weigh the yarn first. 120 gms.
wind yarn onto handy toilet paper roll, and away i go. following the generic "you're putting me on" socks by judy gibson. i love this pattern, it has a regular heel. most toe up socks have a short-row heel which is not my favorite.
fooled around with the increases, so i could have my usual lefty and righty toes, and knit the cable pattern from nancy bush's conwy socks (knitting on the road) on the instep. since i like a deeper heel, i did extra increases in the gusset, so my numbers ended up being a hybrid of the 60 and 72 stitch charts.
easy peasy, but somehow disconcerting. i like decreasing down to the tiny toes, like a sock victory, instead of ending up with the cuff.
and since there are so many yards in this yarn, 28 gms for one sock, i didn't have to worry about running short.
this pattern will be very useful with koigu. i'm afraid to make to cuff too long and run short of wool, so i always end up with too much left over. with the toe up, you never have that angst =:>0
i actually have more than enough yarn left to knit another pair! but i do have fairly small feetsies.

11 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Beautifully done, and the yarn is lovely. Nice job!

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are adorable!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

V. they're great! and I love asymetrical toes myself. Feet are asymetrical after all. And thanks for the tip on Lisa's generous quantities. With my size 11s I'm always on the lookout for big skeins of yarn.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that colorway! Nice Conwy adaptation, too. Love Lisa's stuff. Her roving is great, too.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I like those. Petroglyph sock yarn, huh? That could be dangerous!

11:01 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

They look great! I've never tried the "toe up" pattern...and appreciate your thoughts and opinions about them. I can now see where it would be useful.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful! i may have to try that pattern, since i hate short row heels too. for precisely the same reasons.

1:39 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

LOVE the color! Those socks came out very nice! Oh, by the way I love your 'G' for green (one of my favorite colors)..to think when I see 'G' I couldn't think of anything! drats!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

One of the best things about knitting socks is tailoring them to fit your particular feet. And, you've certainly done that with these. Good job! Nice close up pics of the petroglyph colorway, too. I never knew there was blue in it!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neato keeno socks! I think Petroglyph is my new favorite colorway. Still love the blues, but this is so.... petroglyphy.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smoking needles! Those are gorgeous socks. Fast too.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home