My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

me bad blogger

and ABCer, so i will kill K and L all at once.

karol lindquist- my basket teacher, my friend :-)



karol and her daughter timalyne

photo jeff allen

i cannot believe we first met in 1996! i was lucky enough to take a class that october with karol on nantucket. over the years, we have become good friends, so much so that dd and i spent our whole vacation at bobby and karol's house this june.

karol is an exquisite basket maker, she will be the featured artist at the northeast basket maker's guild this autumn. and her nest of baskets in this year's exhibit at the nantucket lightship basket museum is my favorite ;-) we also make a good team, each pushing each other's creativity to new highs.












basket photos jeff allen


karol's workshop is fantastic, how many baskets have been taught in that shop? how many wonderful memories have been made?



every morning, weather permitting, karol goes for a long bike ride, usually the polpis route. her legs are like iron! can you see the quarterboard on the building behind her? that's karol's workshop.



karol and bobby are still kinda hippies, and i love them for it :-) they have one tv, in their bedroom, so we all pile upstairs to watch crazy movies, poor bobby gets the floor, the girls get the bed. this year it was pioneer quest and the darling buds of may. the knitting in bed reminds me so much of the grandmas in the original willy wonka.



this year she asked me to make a tote basket for a shop model. we added an extension onto an oval mold to make it taller. i got to finish the basket and put 2 coats of oil finish on before we left, but karol will have to add the leather handles.

i love you bobby and karol!

10 Comments:

Blogger Baycolonyfarm said...

I'm in awe. I've always wanted to learn how to make a basket, ever since I spent the summer of '91 on Nantucket.

The basket you made is just beautiful!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a vacation! The baskets are just beautiful.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

In my next life, I want to be you! Your knitting is gorgeous. Your spinning, wonderful and your basket making, fantastic.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful basket. I have missed your blog updates.

4:34 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Another very lovely basket, what great people to know! I love the knitting in bed photo lol I was going to suggest teaching her fair isle socks with added shaping - may slow her down just enough to keep her in yarn :)

5:55 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

What a treat to have a first-hand look at your friends! Perfect to the ABC's...your admiration comes through the screen quite well and I can certainly see why...what a real person...I hope she reads your blog ;) Those baskets are one of a kind and to still have that art going is priceless!!!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blogging comeback - I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the photos of Karol and the baskets. Thanks for sharing.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back!! I missed you while you were gone!
Thanks for the great report on your vacation - it sounds like it was perfect. I've always wanted to learn how to make baskets and your examples are so inspirational.
Glad you're back!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Sounds like you had a great vacation. How special your tote basket will be a shop model.

7:24 AM  
Blogger June said...

Oh my gosh, Vanessa! Isn't it wonderful for you to have such a great friend! I know we are all envious! Love, love, love the baskets - please come down to Kentucky!!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home