My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Thursday, November 09, 2006

V s for

variety, truly the spice of life.

rogue is nearly done, it's such a perfect sweater.

at the top of the sweater cap, instead of binding off 5 stitches at the begining of 4 rows, i did the wrap and turn.
* edited- when ready to decrease, with right side facing, work til 6 sts are left on the left needle, wrap and turn so there are 5 sts left on the needle. turn and start purl row, work til 6 sts are left on left needle, wrap and turn. work 2 more rows, one knit side and one purl side, leaving 6 sts on the left needle, wrapping and turning.
next row, knit across, picking up the wraps. next row, purl across, picking up the wraps.
now you have the right side facing with the original number of sts on the needle. bind off in knit.



i love the smooth line you get with a wrap and turn. and it makes the sleeve easier to sew in.



of course, now that all that's left is the sewing up, i'm itchy.



look at the beautiful sheen of lisa souza's petal in warm gold. a lovely rich color for beadwork.



on the strauch skein winder,


and the fricke ball winder.



nice soft squishy balls. did i say that?


and a nice big swatch for beadwork.


but does beadwork get cast on? nope.

ah variety. cast on for swallowtail instead. the briar rose merino tencel is so fluid. but a pita if you drop a stitch, zip down it goes.

now for the weekly dinner-

chicken milanese.

2 boneless chicken breasts, these are from whole foods.

place them one at a time in a gallon size ziplock bag, and pound thin with a rolling pin.

dredge the breasts in italian breadcrumbs with garlic salt and pepper.


brown the chicken in a little olive oil and drain on a paper towel. i put mine in a warm oven until the rotelle pasta is cooked. brown the left-over breadcrumbs in the pan after the chicken is done.

put a little butter and browned breadcrumbs on the pasta.

top the chicken breasts with lettuce, i used earthbound farms baby lettuce salad, and sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. shave parmesano reggiano over the lettuce.

serve with pasta.

yum!


raja is helping me sew in the ends on a sock.


madaket sneaks a butt sniff.


"mom, why is this cat allowed on the couch? no fair!"


full doggie cat integration has been achieved :-)

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful set of beasties you have!

The wrapping and turning seems like a brilliant idea - except, forgive me, but i don't see how you can do five at once. I've only used that technique for socks, so I'm missing something, i think.

Can't wait to see the finished Rogue....

6:18 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

That's it! Next year, I'm going to try that 50/50 wool, silk. It looks lovely in that warm gold.

Ack! I got the newer model of the ball winder and I just can't seem to get nice looking balls like you.

Dinner looks yummy! And so does everything else I missed.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ooooooo that beadwork is going to be glorious! I recognize that umbrella swift. I christened my ball winder but neglected to clamp it to the table. It helps to read directions.

Love the cat.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your pets are beautiful. And I think my dog is always wondering why the cat gets to be on the couch when he can't, too!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the animal family is working so well. I'd love to have your kitty. Your knitting is beautiful.

8:07 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Oh, what a wonderful post...from the the yummy chicken/pasta/salad to the wonderful gorgeous trio. Your cat looks like a tiger beautiful markings! The last picture really says it all:
two dogs thinking "should we...?"
cat so gingerly walking past...HA- I can see what is in charge!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we were not worried about Raja, were we? (my Steiff tiger from childhood is named Raja...) He is fitting right in and as long as HE is cool, the dogs will have nothing to chase. I love the high tail shot...go ahead...check out my butt. Perfect.

I had one of those ball winders and it would launch the balls across the room...perhaps they have improved those suckers.

So glad that the Petal is going to work. Whew!

10:11 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Wow hoo!!! They are living together in harmony!! That warm gold is perfect for beadwork!

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like your new cat is fitting right in!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raja looks like he was meant to have dogs follow behind him. Very commanding.

Love the tutorial about the wrapped stitches - it's completely invisible!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rogue is actually the perfect sweater. It's true.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I'm in awe of your pet integration! It took Harry and Sally months to get along. Oh, and the yarn and knitting--it is, as usual, stunning stuff.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the senses were pleased with that post. The yarn! The colors! The gadgets! The food...oh, the food.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your whole post was totally yummy.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Dinner looks tasty, and easy too (a big plus!) I'll try that sometime.

You're so close on Rogue... I love the wrap-and-turn shaping instead of the ugly stair-step bind-off, too. Best of all is when you can do that on the front and back of a sweater and join them at the shoulders with the good old three-needle bindoff. So neat and elegant.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I think you've been doing all my knitting while I've been working doubletime!

I think Rogue will be beautiful, especially on your gorgeous ddil :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

"V" is for "very" nice post. I really enjoyed it.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! My salads always look like that with the big shavings (slabs) of parmesan on top. The chicken underneath is a great idea!

I love that photo of the dogs following the cat butt. It's great that they're all getting along.

9:23 AM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

I love the animal pics!!! Such cuties. And the food! I'm on my way over right now..... ;0) So, tell me about your dragonfly! It's just great!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

You have such yummy meal ideas. I made the Pork Chops and Apples which was a hit with the family. And, now I will try this recipe. Your knitting is very lovely too. And the animals are a hoot : ).

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute animals! Glad to see they all get along. Where did you find that adorable dragonfly yarn holder??

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home