My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Saturday, March 10, 2007

the russians are coming, the russians are coming!

orenburg lace russians that is.



for years, the piecework magazine and yarn for the triangular warm shawl to knit, spring 2002, have been waiting patiently next to my bed.

the musk ox yarn finally won.

OMG, where have you been all my life?

delisciously soft, and the colors!

i see the kit is available from skaska now, my pattern has the plum color in the center triangle instead of the red..

there are 2 tiny errors in the magazine chart, and no errata on piecework's site, if you knit it from the magazine, and would like my corrections, please email.


2 for one photo- orenburg lace and a saturday sky. are all you northerners jealous?

last week tom and i drove up to alabama for a surprise birthday party.

about 6 years ago, i played matchmaker to one of tom's oldest bestest friends, and a good friend of mine.
they had a lot in common. heck, they even talk the same; pat's from mississippi, and bob's from northern florida.
tried for 2 years to get them in the same place at the same time.

well, after they finally met, it was love at first site, and they've hardly been apart since the day they met :-)

tom and i were best man and matron of honor at their wedding, nearly 5 years ago.

bob threw a huge surprise party for pat's birthday, and boy was she surprised! many tears when she saw everyone, especially her adorable grand-daughter from michigan. bob did an excellent job, and i'm glad we could be there!










just look at this sunset at the andalusia alabama country club-


bob and pat have a beautiful house on gantt lake in alabama. they have just built this huge barn for their spoiled cows ;-)

then we went on to the florida panhandle and pensacola. my son just got stationed in pensacola. bart will be an instructor pilot there for the next 3 years. i hope he likes his new job!


here is their new house, it is adorable. we couldn't believe how much work they've already done. tiled the floors, and put in a new fence. all by themselves :-)

thanks for all the kind selbu compliments, i think i thanked everyone!
can't wait to get the book in my hands :-0
added: anne, not anne from slc, i don't have any way to thank you for your comments- thanks!

14 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

Sigh, so jealous. I miss warmth.

Your pictures look so pretty and your friend's Birthday party looks like it was a very good time.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you know that is ft vicki and roberta in the orenburg link!

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep - I'm northern and ohh so jealous.

- and I'm looking forward to see the finished shawl :)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a good love story! Thnx! Also, nice beginning on that shawl. I need to do another shawl ~ you inspire me.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I love the photos. The lace is beautiful. Bob and Pat's contented cows are outstanding in their field. They need that wonderful barn! I love farm photos and, I love your blog!

7:01 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

What a wonderful family you are! I bet that BD party was just great! Your lace looks lovely...oooohhh..musk ox!!!! Congratulations to your son on his cute house in FL... Thanks for sharing!!!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the mittens are beautiful and i think that i am in love with that shawl already!

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these photos, thanks for sharing them! It seems you've all had so much fun at the party - that's what counts, isn't it? And - I can't wait to see the finished shawl - it's going to be a beauty!

4:03 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

oh! that is beautiful lace work, and a beautiful sunny sky! nice to know that it is getting warm somewhere out there---send some up north!!

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love a good romance story. Many congratulations to them both! And your son's house is adorable - if I thought even for one second that dh would let me get away with painting the house that color... Unfortunately, he thinks that there are only two colors appropriate for houses (interior and exterior): white and off white. Sigh.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you make me want to pack up everything and head for warmer temps...The lace is beautiful. Glad everyone had a great time at the surprise party, you matchmaker you :-) Then to top it off, to visit your son in his pretty, pretty house, PERFECT!

8:06 PM  
Blogger jenknits said...

Warm Saturday sky, yes, I am jealous. The Orenburg will be beautiful, the plum color is so rich! What a touching story about your friends and the match making. And how nice to have your son in the same state - cute house. They are obviously happy!

10:02 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

all tha sun is SO not fair!

10:12 PM  
Blogger girls just want to have spun! said...

my brother!!! i still can't believe you saw their house first without me. i wish you would have taken pictures of the inside so i can see.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home